Thomas Keller’s Mushroom Quiche
Thomas Keller’s Mushroom Quiche
Makes one 9-inch quiche
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms, stems trimmed and large caps halved or quartered
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Comté or Emmental cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
- Buttery Pastry Shell
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a very large skillet, heat the oil. Add the oyster and white mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the butter, shallots and thyme and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are tender, about 12 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and let cool.
- Scatter 1/4 cup of the cheese and half of the mushrooms evenly over the bottom of the Buttery Pastry Shell. In a blender, mix half each of the milk, cream and eggs and season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of pepper and a pinch of nutmeg at high speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Pour the custard into the pastry shell. Top with another 1/4 cup of cheese and the remaining mushrooms. Make a second batch of custard with the remaining milk, cream and eggs, plus the same amount of salt, pepper and nutmeg as before and pour into the shell. Scatter the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake the quiche for about 1 1/2 hours, or until richly browned on top and the custard is barely set in the center. Let cool in the pan until very warm.
- Using a serrated knife, cut the pastry shell flush with the top of the pan. Carefully lift the springform pan ring off the quiche. Cut the mushroom quiche into wedges, transfer to plates and serve warm.
Thomas Keller’s Quiche Dough
Thomas Keller’s Quiche Dough Makes one 9-inch quiche Ingredients 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus more for dusting 1 teaspoon kosher salt 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch dice 1/4 cup ice water Canola oil, for brushing Method ...
Lion's Mane Mushroom Cakes
One of the homes in our community shared this recipe for Lion's Mane Mushroom Cake. They say it is absolutely delicious, and it uses several ingredients you can find through Graze & Gather! Ingredients 1/2 lb of Lion's Mane mushrooms (available from ...
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 20 mins Servings: Servings: 6 servings Ingredients 2 tablespoons butter, bacon grease, lard or turkey drippings (vegetarian alternative: olive oil) 1 yellow onion, finely chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 40 gram (1 ...
Responsible Foraging: Lunch & Learn
Responsible Foraging: Lunch & Learn On April 27th our Graze & Gather Community gathered together for our fourth Lunch & Learn. We learned all about Responsible Foraging from Celeste Smith (Founder of Cultural Seeds & the We Will Plant Lodge), and ...
Super Umami Onion Dip
Super Umami Onion Dip Ingredients 2 large yellow onions 4 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper ½ teaspoon dried mushroom powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 4 ounces ...